According to the IRS.gov website, if you make under $64,000 per year, you can use “Free File” to prepare and file your 2016 income taxes online for FREE!
I recommend these top 6 Free File Websites from the list of IRS Free File commercial tax software companies as they have the best reviews:
- E-file.com: File in less than 15 minutes; Must qualify for 1040EZ form. State filing is only $19 with Code: SAVE24
- eSmart Tax: Import Previous Returns for Free + Free Chat Support; Available for all states; Free extensions.
- FreeTaxUSA: Advanced and Simple Taxes are Free. State $12.95. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars.
- H&R Block: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to file. $0 to itemize deductions.
- TaxACT: Free for simple 1040EZ and 1040A filers. $0 Federal + $0 State. Prior year import $5.
- TurboTax: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to file. Must make under $100K. Exclusions apply.
If you need help filing your taxes, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make under $54,000, persons with disabilities, elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Click here for more information.