According to the IRS.gov website, if you make under $62,000 per year, you can use “Free File” to prepare and file your 2015 income taxes online for FREE!
I recommend these top 6 Free File Websites from the list of IRS Free File commercial tax software companies as they have the best reviews:
- E-file.com: File in less than 15 minutes; Must qualify for 1040EZ form. State filing is only $19 with Code: SAVE24
- eSmart Tax: Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) must be $62,000 or less; Age between 18 and 54; Available for all states; Free extensions.
- FreeTaxUSA: AGI must be $62,000 or less; Age between 17 and 74; Not available in all states; Free extensions.
- H&R Block: AGI must be $62,000 or less; Ages between 17 and 50; Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit; Available in all states.
- TaxACT: AGI must be $50,000 or less: Ages 56 or younger; Offers some free state returns as well; Free extensions.
- TurboTax: AGI must be $31,000 or less or $62,000 or less for active military; Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit; Available in all states. (This is what I use to file my kids’ tax returns)
If you need help filing your taxes, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make under $54,000, persons with disabilities, elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Click here for more information.
Image Credit: Flickr