Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Every year, medical care costs and health insurance premiums take a significant bite of every household's average budget. But you can cut these costs without sacrificing good care. With the rising costs of healthcare around the world, it's a good idea to search for simple and cost-effective measures that you can take to cut your medication and healthcare expenditure. Here are four simple ways of saving money on healthcare.
Consider Vaccines/Flu shots/Screening
- Taking advantage of free vaccinations is one way to save money on healthcare costs. Why let harm run its course when it could be avoided from the beginning? Vaccinations are no longer for healthcare personnel or specific groups of people, such as those who work in chronic care facilities or nursing homes. When it comes to avoiding illnesses, take advantage of free jabs.
- For example, the National Health Service (NHS) of the United Kingdom offers an extensive range of free vaccinations for the general public, including children, teens, and even people aged over 60. Additionally, vaccinations are available for those working in specific industries, pregnant women, and those with long-term health problems.
- If you are always bogged down by illnesses and want to stop yourself from being an easy target to ailments such as flu, then vaccination is the way to go.
- Screening is another preventive measure that can help you cut your healthcare costs. Whenever possible, attend a free screening to avoid getting sick. After all, it's free. In some instances, you can self-refer to make a screening appointment, or a doctor can invite you for different types of screening once you reach a certain age.
Eat Right and Exercise
- Eating a sensible diet and enjoying regular physical activity can help ward off many illnesses that may require the ongoing use of prescription medications or regular visits to a doctor. A healthful diet and exercise are known to reduce costly chronic diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and high cholesterol.
- Moreover, some health plans offer incentives such as cash rewards to members who participate in a weight loss program or join a gym. The rewards go towards reaching a weight-loss goal or a certain activity, and eventually, it helps reduce the overall health care costs.
- Having an active lifestyle ensures you stay fit and can vastly improve your mental and physical health. Besides, eating a proper diet can save you medical expenses in the long run. Exercising is not all about hiking up a mountain or running a marathon, but it's about the small changes to your routine habits that can improve your fitness. Figure out what works best for you and keep at it.
- Examples of relaxing exercises that can help you keep fit include taking up a team sport, walking to work, taking the stairs instead of elevators, among others. However, in today's fast-paced society, it might seem hard to eat right all the time as food prepared at home are the healthiest, but it's vital to try your best.
Online Health Services
- If you are looking to save, find out if you can order your medicine online. Buying prescription drugs online saves you not only cash but also your time. Furthermore, you can find an excellent deal at an online drugstore, especially if you try generic versions of brand-name medication.
- If you take prescription drugs regularly, for instance, cholesterol or birth control drugs, choose the mail-order option. On average, you will receive a 90-day supply for much less than you would pay at the pharmacy.
- If you regularly take a drug with a brand name, have a look at the manufacturer’s website to check for any coupon offer or discount card. Doing so will reduce the amount you have to pay, and you will be amazed at how many manufacturers do that now. Online health services are one simple way of saving money on healthcare.