My sister-in-law taught me how to can homemade salsa about 10 years ago. Each batch seems to turn out slightly different, because I tend to modify and guesstimate quantities when I cook. 😉 But it is always a big hit with the family!
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Additional Time 30 minutes
Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes
- 26 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled
- 6 medium white onions
- 3 large green bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cans (12oz each) tomato paste
- Jalapeño peppers (15-45 depending on desired taste)
- Chop all veggies.
- Combine everything in a large stockpot.
- Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Place in hot pint size canning jars and seal.
- Process in a hot water bath for 30 minutes OR with a pressure canner for 5 minutes at 5lbs of pressure.