My mom always made corn flake wreaths for Christmas, but we haven’t had them for many years. My kids requested them this year, so I made them for the first time in years.
I asked my mother for the recipe but then I found the above old recipe in my recipe box that I had cut off the back of a box of Kellogg’s corn flake box back in 1995! The only difference in my mom’s recipe is that hers calls for a teaspoon of vanilla to be added to the margarine and marshmallows, and hers calls for two teaspoons of green food coloring. I didn’t even add a whole one teaspoon as I think everyone’s mouths would be green after they got eaten!
The ingredients are easy: corn flakes cereal (as you see you don’t have to buy name brand Kellogg’s brand; I bought generic store brand cereal), a bag of marshmallows (either big or small; as you can see I had two half bags), a stick of margarine (1/2 cup), green food coloring and red cinnamon candies (we call them “red hots”).
Melt margarine and marshmallows together, mix in food coloring and add 6 cups corn flakes. The recipe says to form into wreaths, but I simply use a spoon and plop them in clumps (because making wreaths is a pain in the patootie). Add a few red hots, and they look like holly or even mistletoe.
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring
- 6 cups Kellogg's corn flakes cereal
- Red cinnamon candies
- Vegetable cooking spray
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine on low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in food coloring.
- Add corn flakes cereal. Stir until well coated.
- With your hands covered in vegetable spray, quickly shape the warm cereal mixture into individual wreaths. Dot with cinnamon candies.
Microwave Directions: Microwave margarine and marshmallows on HIGH two minute in microwave safe mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Stir in food coloring continue with steps and 2 and 3 above.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160 Total Fat: 50g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 5mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g