According to the IRS.gov website, if you make under $69,000 per year, you can use “Free File” to prepare and file your 2019 income taxes online for FREE!
I recommend these top 6 Free File Websites from the list of IRS Free File commercial tax software companies as they have the best reviews:
- H&R Block: File Federal and State Taxes for Free if you AGI was $69,000 or less and you are between the ages 17-51 or are active duty members or that qualify for Earned Income Tax Credit. H&R Block claim to be the best for new income tax filers, simple tax returns and homeowners.
- TaxACT: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to File even if you have dependents, college expenses and/or retirement income. You can import prior year's taxes for $5. *I personally use TaxAct when I do my kids' taxes as it's super easy to use. I save the $5 import fee by retyping in their names and addresses, but it's fast and easy. **One thing I do not like though is that if you quit before actually filing, TaxACT does not save what you did thus far, so you need to readd everything.
- TurboTax: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to File. TurboTax is easy to use, but they really try to “upsell” you on most questions, but you can decline all options. *After discovering that TaxACT doesn't save your returns, and TurboTax will transfer your last year's return for FREE, this may be my new pick.
- E-file.com: File your income taxes online in less than 15 minutes. E-file offers free federal tax returns for those who qualify for a 1040EZ form. Get $7 off state filing with Code: 7OFFSTATE (Hint: many states offer totally free filing, like my state of Nebraska does. Google your state to see if they offer the same.)
- FreeTaxUSA: Advanced and Simple Taxes are Free at FreeTaxUSA. State filing is $12.95. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars by customers (and they've filed over 43 million tax returns with the IRS).
- ezTaxReturn: If you have a simple return, your Federal return is FREE.
If you need help filing your income taxes online, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make under $55,000, persons with disabilities, elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Click here for more information.
72% of people who filed income taxes in 2018 received a refund with the average refund being $2,899! 8 out of 10 taxpayers in 2018 used e-file and direct deposit to get their refunds faster. More than 90% of refunds are issued within 21 days for filing (mainly on Fridays, so check your back account). Now, what are you going to buy with your income tax refund?
It seems like I become the favorite family member come tax time, as I prepare their taxes in exchange for a some sort of plea bargain that doesn’t always get paid up. I think I’m getting the short end of the stick. I don’t even do my own taxes! My classmate, Kelly, from Lutz prepares my taxes as they are too complex for me.