According to the IRS.gov website, if you make under $66,000 per year, you can use “Free File” to prepare and file your 2017 income taxes online for FREE!
I recommend these top 6 Free File Websites from the list of IRS Free File commercial tax software companies as they have the best reviews:
- E-file.com: File your income taxes online in less than 15 minutes. E-file offers free federal tax returns for those who qualify for a 1040EZ form. State filing is only $19 with Code: SAVE24 (Hint: many states offer totally free filing, like my state of Nebraska does. Google your state to see if they offer the same.)
- eSmart Tax: eSmart Tax lets you import previous returns for free plus offers free chat support. This is the best for simple returns that need Form 1040EZ and Schedule B. Available for all states; Free extensions.
- FreeTaxUSA: Advanced and Simple Taxes are Free at FreeTaxUSA. State filing is $12.95. Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars by customers (and they’ve filed over 18 million tax returns with the IRS).
- H&R Block: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to file. $0 to itemize deductions. They claim to be the best for new income tax filers, simple tax returns and homeowners.
- TaxACT: Kim’s Pick! File your income taxes for free for simple 1040EZ and 1040A filers. $0 Federal + $0 State. You can import prior year’s taxes for $5. *I personally use TaxAct when I do my kids’ taxes as it’s super easy to use. I save the $5 import fee by retyping in their names and addresses, but it’s fast and easy.
- TurboTax: $0 Federal. $0 State. $0 to file. TurboTax is easy to use (I used to use it before I switched to TaxAct), but they really try to “upsell” you on most questions, but you can decline all options.
If you need help filing your income taxes online, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make under $54,000, persons with disabilities, elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Click here for more information.
It seems like I become the favorite family member come tax time, as I prepare their taxes in exchange for a some sort of plea bargain that doesn’t always get paid up. I think I’m getting the short end of the stick. I don’t even do my own taxes! My classmate, Kelly, from Lutz prepares my taxes as they are too complex for me.