All You Magazine (now defunct) not only had great manufacturer coupons*, but the articles are filled with great money saving tips as well!
In the Live Green and Save Section this month, they listed 20 uses for baking soda (it’s not just for baking cookies). Here are the top 20 uses for baking soda with my commentary…
Top 20 Uses for Baking Soda
1. To put out a grease fire, scatter baking soda over by the handful to extinquish flames.
This was listed first as the #1 tip?! I hope not many people have to actually use this tip, but good to know.
2. Stash an open box of backing soda in the fridge to absorb odors (replace every two months).
I have an open box in my freezer as well, but I haven’t changed it in a year…. oops.
3. Clean the dishwasher and coffeemaker by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
No coffee maker at my house, and I’ve tried using it in the dishwasher as a lady once told me it would remove the orange stains – I don’t think it worked.
4. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your bath for an at-home spa treatment.
When I go to the spa, I want a facial, massage and my eyebrows waxed.
5. Polish jewelry with a paste made of water and baking soda. It’s safe on both silver and gold.
I’ve never tried this, but I believe my aunt or grandmother, or some relative, suggested it to me once or twice.
6. Scatter baking soda in the kitty box, then add litter on top to keep smells to a minimum.
No kittens in my house either.
7. For instant relief from bug bites, sunburn and poison ivy, mix baking soda with a little water and apply it directly to the sore.
My grandmother taught me to apply cleaning ammonia to new mosquito bites.
8. Make a fluffier omelet by adding 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for every three eggs.
My friend adds Miracle Whip to make his eggs fluffier. I know it sounds disgusting, but if you’re eating breakfast after the bar closes, you don’t even notice.
9. Pour in one cup baking soda followed by one cup hot vinegar to quickly unclog the kitchen drain.
Hmm, I may have to remember that one – cheaper than Drano. Wonder if it would have worked on unclogging my dishwasher?
10. Fight dandruff by tabling the shampoo for a few weeks and massaging your wet scalp with a handful of baking soda instead.
Cheaper than Selsun Blue.
11. Gargle with baking soda or use as a mouthwash.
My daughter’s dentist recommends she gargle with warm salt water.
12. Soak toothbrushes in a mixture of 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup water; let brushes stand overnight for a thorough cleaning.
Anyone ever wash their toothbrushes in the dishwasher?
13. Make DIY kitty litter; Mix a small box of baking soda with 3 inches of sandy clay.
I presume DIY stands for Do-It-Yourself, but again, no kittens/cats in my house.
14. Use baking soda to brush your pets’ teeth.
Ok enough pet uses, as we have no pets. I am not an animal lover. In fact, I hate dogs.
15. Scatter baking soda on icy sidewalks – it’s not as corrosive as salt.
I hope we are done with snow and ice this year! It’s April and we had a snowstorm this weekend!
16. Discourage weeds by sprinkling baking soda into the cracks on your driveway and walkways.
Cheaper than Round-Up.
17. Surround Fido’s food bowls with baking soda to keep pests away.
What if your dog’s name is Spot? So can I surround my house to keep pests out??
18. Sprinkle baking soda on the sink and tub, and scrub with a sponge.
DIY Soft Scrub?
19. Have heartburn? Create an antacid by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with 1/2 cup of water.
I have never had heartburn (knock on wood), but I still buy antacids that I can get free after rebate just in case.
20. To clean a toilet, add 1/4 cup baking soda to the bowl, swirl, then scrub.
I’ve also heard to use a can of Coke. Wait, I just found 51 uses for Coca-Cola, whoa!
Want 500 more uses for sodium bicarbonate? Vicki Lansky wrote the book “Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of” available from Amazon.com.
Tips Bulletin lists out 50+ more uses of baking soda.