Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Last Updated on April 5, 2021 by Shopping Kim
If you live outside of the Midwest, you may have never heard of a Runza before. But if you have, you know that you are craving a Runza right now after seeing it!
Ground beef seasoned with a top-secret blend of spices and mixed with cabbage and onions. All wrapped up in fresh-baked bread. It’s the taste that generations of Midwesterners have grown up loving.
Runzas are a food staple in Nebraska, and now thanks to Karyn sharing her recipe for homemade Runza casserole, everyone nationwide and internationally can enjoy this ethnic cuisine once served by German immigrants.
Runza Casserole Ingredients
- 1.5 lbs. hamburger
- salt and black pepper
- one medium onion
- 1 bag shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 tubes crescent rolls
- cheese (any cheese will work, but Karyn used Swiss cheese slices and finely shredded Colby and Monterrey Jack cheese)
Runza Casserole Directions
- Brown 1.5 pounds for hamburger with some salt and lots of black pepper.
- Remove meat then saute one medium onion in the skillet.
- Add 1 bag of shredded coleslaw mix; drizzle with 2 TBsp of water, cover and let cabbage and onions steam until tender.
- Return hamburger to skillet and mix well.
- Unroll one can of crescent rolls in a 9×13 pan.
- Cover with meat mixture.
- Cover with cheese and second can of crescent rolls.
- Sprinkle with small amounts of more shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Thanks again to Karyn for sharing her delicious recipe and mouth-watering food photos with us!