Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
If you're moving long-distance, there's a lot to think about. One thing you shouldn't have to worry about is how to get your car to your new home. Shipping your car is a great option that can make the whole process easier. Here's what you need to know about shipping your car long-distance.
In This Post:
- How to Choose the Best Car Shipping Company
- Get Quotes From Multiple Companies to Find the Best Deal
- Do Your Research – Compare Different Car Shipping Companies and Read Reviews
- Ask Around for Recommendations – Friends, Family, and Coworkers May Have Used a Car Shipping Company in the Past That They Would Recommend
- Check With the Better Business Bureau to Make Sure the Company Is Reputable
- Make Sure You Understand the Contract Before Signing Anything
- What to Do With Your Car Before You Ship It
- How the Shipping Process Works
- What to Expect After Your Car Arrives at Its Destination
- Is It Safe to Ship Your Car?
How to Choose the Best Car Shipping Company
Are you looking to ship a car but feeling overwhelmed by the process? You're not alone. With so many options out there, it can be tough to know how to choose the right car shipping company. Follow these steps to make sure you choose the best car shipping company for your needs.
Get Quotes From Multiple Companies to Find the Best Deal
When you're looking to ship a car, it's important to get quotes from multiple car shipping companies to ensure you're getting the best deal. The good news is that with a little bit of research you can find car shipping quotes online, making it easy to compare prices and services.
Do Your Research – Compare Different Car Shipping Companies and Read Reviews
When you're ready to ship your car, it's important to do your research and compare different car shipping companies. Not all companies are created equal, and you'll want to find one that is reputable and has a good track record. Checking online reviews is a good way to get an idea of what other customers have experienced with a particular company.
Ask Around for Recommendations – Friends, Family, and Coworkers May Have Used a Car Shipping Company in the Past That They Would Recommend
When looking for a car shipping company, it is always a good idea to ask around for recommendations. Friends, family, and coworkers may have used a car shipping company in the past that they would recommend. If they have had a positive experience, they will be able to tell you what company they used and how their experience was. If they have had a negative experience, they will be able to tell you what company they used and what went wrong. Either way, you will be getting first-hand information that you can use to make your decision.
Check With the Better Business Bureau to Make Sure the Company Is Reputable
When you're looking for a car shipping company, it's important to choose one that is reputable and has a good track record. One way to check on a company's reputation is to contact the Better Business Bureau. The BBB keeps records of complaints against businesses and can give you an idea of whether or not a company is reliable.
Make Sure You Understand the Contract Before Signing Anything
When you're shipping a car, it's important to understand the contract you're signing with the shipping company. Otherwise, you could end up paying more than you anticipated or not getting the level of service you were expecting.
Make sure you know exactly what is included in the price quote and what, if any, additional charges there may be. Ask about the company's insurance coverage and find out what their policy is if your car is damaged during shipping. You should also make sure to be clear on the delivery date and make sure there are no hidden fees.
By taking the time to read and understand the contract, you can help ensure a smooth and hassle-free car shipping experience.
What to Do With Your Car Before You Ship It
If you're planning on shipping your car, there are a few things you'll need to do first.
- Remove all personal belongings from the car
- Clean the car inside and out, including the trunk
- Check fluid levels and tire pressure
- Disable the alarm system
- Take pictures of your car from all angles
Once you've taken care of these preparations, your car will be ready to ship.
How the Shipping Process Works
- The car shipping company will ask for some basic information about your vehicle and yourself. They will need to know your name, address, and contact information. The company will also ask for the origin and destination of your vehicle.
- The car shipping company will then give you a quote for the shipment. This quote will be based on the make and model of your car, as well as the distance it needs to travel
- If you decide to go ahead with the shipment, the car shipping company will require a deposit
- The car shipping company will then arrange for the transport of your vehicle
- Upon delivery of your vehicle, the final payment will be due
The entire process can take anywhere from a few days to a week or more, depending on the distance involved. But with door-to-door service and a professional team taking care of your car, shipping is often the easiest and most stress-free way to transport a vehicle.
What to Expect After Your Car Arrives at Its Destination
When your car arrives at its destination, the first thing that will happen is that it will be unloaded from the transport truck. Once it is on the ground, a driver will move it to the storage area.
Depending on the facility, your car may be stored indoors or outdoors. If it is stored outdoors, it will likely be covered with a tarp to protect it from the elements.
Once your car is in storage, you will be able to retrieve it at any time. However, you may want to wait until the transport company has finished unloading all of the cars from the truck to minimize the risk of damage.
When you are ready to retrieve your car, simply drive to the storage facility and present your ID. The staff will then retrieve your car and help you load it onto your own vehicle.
Is It Safe to Ship Your Car?
The answer is yes, shipping your car is generally safe. However, there are always risks involved in any type of transportation, and there are a few things you can do to minimize those risks.
- Make sure you choose a reputable shipping company. Research different companies and read reviews before making a decision.
- Make sure your car is in good condition before shipping it. This means getting any needed repairs or maintenance done beforehand.
- Be sure to insure your car for the full value in case of any damage during transit.
With these precautions in place, shipping your car should be a safe and stress-free experience.
Although it may seem like a lot of work to ship your car long-distance, it doesn't have to be that stressful. By following these tips, you can make sure that your car arrives safe and sound at its new home.