When it comes to choosing between hardwood and laminate flooring to use in your house, there might be some aspects, which you need to put into consideration before making the final decision. When you think beauty is the only aspect that you should prioritize, you are wrong. For example, laminate flooring at the wood floor warehouse is considered as a lifetime investment, especially in the UK.
The following are some aspects, which you need to prioritize when selecting a floor suitable for your home.
In This Post:
- 1. The installation
- 2. Maintaining and cleaning
- 3. The durability of the floors
- 4. Styles of the flooring, as well as the hardwood floor, comes with different kinds of styles.
- 5. Price as a factor
- 6. The repair aspect
- 7. Renewability and eco-friendliness
- 8. Consider your pets
- 9. The resale value
- 10. Put the heating system into consideration
- 11. Moisture as well as the growth of molds
1. The installation
The installation level should be considered, especially when it comes to new homes. In case DIY is not your thing, you may need to find it necessary to hire an expert to assist you in installing the flooring.
It is important to know that both the floors may be installed in different levels, but solid hardwood may be difficult.
- Hardwood floor – The process of installing hardwood flooring may be hectic, especially when you do not have the necessary skills. The installation for this kind of flooring will require patience, time, and special tools so that it can be successful.
- Laminate floor – Thanks to the new advancement, many manufacturers have come up with ways, which can be used to install the laminate flooring easily. It is not necessary for you to use nails or glue during the installation, and you can always carry out the process on weekends. Whichever choice you make, it may be prudent to know how the installation for both the floors work.
Here are guidelines, which you may consider when setting up your floor.
- Ensure you have the necessary tools like gloves, wood glue, finishing putty, a pencil and safety glasses among others.
- Prepare the surface for the installation process by considering leveling the subfloor, cleaning the surface, installing the vapor barrier, and repairing some holes among others.
- Install the flooring of your choice.
- Wind up the setting up process by considering adding molds, covering the expansion spaces, using the sealant, and following the necessary step to make the floor beautiful.
2. Maintaining and cleaning
It is easy to maintain as well as clean both the laminate and hardwood floors.
- Hardwood flooring – It is simple to clean using a vacuum cleaner or the dust mop. The problem with it is that you will have the privilege of using wet mops to get rid of stains. If you fail to remove the stains on time, the flooring can easily be damaged. For you to get rid of the stains, the vinegar solution will work wonders. In case your worry is getting some scratches, it would be best to consider refinishing process so that you may get rid of available imperfections. Always confirm that the warranty of the manufacturer covers the refinishing process.
- Laminate flooring – Some laminate floors are good in wet areas. If yours is not waterproof, you can avoid exposing it in the water. In case you cannot avoid water, you should go for laminate flooring, which is waterproof. When cleaning the floor, you will have the mandate of using a damp mop. You may spray a chemical solution on the floor so that you can remove stains. The best part is that this type of floor is resistant to scratches. Refinishing and sanding processes will be the least of your worries.
3. The durability of the floors
In case your home has pets and kids, you will need a durable flooring, which can serve you in decades or even more.
- Hardwood flooring – The floor not only looks good, but it is also durable. As much as the flooring is durable, it is vulnerable to dents and scratches like other wood surfaces. Luckily, some of them are not manufactured the same way. For example, Pergo has a strong layer, which cannot wear out easily. The flooring can be 5 times durable than ordinary ones.
- Laminate flooring – This kind of floor can handle messy children and pets around the house because it is durable. Most of these floors are not only waterproof, but they are also resistant to the stains and scratch. It will be perfect for your house.
4. Styles of the flooring, as well as the hardwood floor, comes with different kinds of styles.
You can choose the kind of textures, colors, and designs you want. As long as the flooring type will suit the needs of your house, then all things are under control.
- Hardwood flooring – If you have installed this type of floor, you will always remember that your home has a natural piece. The examples of styles that you can get in the store when buying hardwood flooring include Walnut, Oak, Maple, and Hickory.
- Laminate flooring – This flooring has a perfect way of capturing the natural look of the real hardwood. Whether you have a taste in contemporary or rustic, you can always choose a blending style, which will fit in your home.
5. Price as a factor
The flooring cost and your budget may have a big difference. Before you select any flooring, it is important to stick to your budget. Importantly, evaluate the price of hardwood as well as laminate flooring so that you can know what suits your budget.
- Hardwood floors comprise of the harvested trees. This means the pricing will depend on the trees, which will be used. Hardwood floors are usually regarded as expensive to purchase as well as install.
- Laminate flooring is made of composite woods, which are compressed together in the presence of high temperature. The hardwood image is placed to the composite wood to make laminate flooring. For this reason, the installation and buying price is affordable to most individuals out there.
6. The repair aspect
Like the other home components, there will be a time when you will need to repair your flooring. Minor and major accidents can compel you into repairing the floor. It will be for you to select the kind of floor, which you will find easy to repair.
- Laminate flooring – It is not that simple to repair this kind of floor. In case, you bought the floor from a reliable seller, you can manage to replace some parts, but depending on various aspects such as age as well as sunlight, the new and old board will not look alike.
- Hardwood flooring – You can easily repair the floor by considering the processes such as refinishing as well as imperfections. Because of this, the floor will even last longer than laminate flooring.
7. Renewability and eco-friendliness
It is important to be careful when choosing the kind of flooring to install in your home. Some flooring may be dangerous to the environment once they are installed. Your decision should be based on the flooring, which is renewable.
- Hardwood flooring – The flooring comprises of the organic elements, which can be degraded. They are among the floors, which are considered as friendly to the ecosystem. Since they originate from different trees, some of them might take decades before they decompose. Always go for a flooring material, which is highly degradable.
- Laminate flooring – The flooring usually consists of the recycled elements. For this reason, the floor is eco-friendly because wastes are removed. Some of the floors can affect the environment, because their materials may contain formaldehyde or melamine that tampers with the comfort of the surroundings.
8. Consider your pets
Most people cannot stay without pets in their homes. If you have a pet like a cat around your house, it will be best to consider a good flooring. This is because cats are playful and they can bring harm to the flooring.
- Laminate flooring – The nails of the pets may not be that harmful to this kind of floor. When the pets become messy, the floor smoothness enables you to clean it easily. There is no point of freaking out when your cat urinates on your floor because the surface is resistant to water. You can have as many pets as you want, but you do not wish to have a smelly house. It will be prudent to wash out urine once the pets mess up.
- Hardwood flooring – Finished as well as waxed floors are fairly resistant to the pet’s waste and nail scratches. You can consider refinishing in case the pet damages the floor. As much as you can consider refinishing the floor, a simple scratch and pet’s urine easily damage it. You will incur the cost of replacing the flooring from time to time.
9. The resale value
Every home seller has the priority of adding value so that the selling price can increase. You can always increase your home value in various ways, but the best method is to consider changing the flooring in your home. Depending on some aspects, it will be upon you to select the kinds of floor, which you need to use to increase your home’s value.
- Laminate flooring – With the proper maintenance, the floor material can serve you for 25 years. Since it’s cheap in the marketplace, it may not be suitable when it comes to adding the value of your house. Most buyers, who know the true meaning of a valuable house, will still consider homes that have other floors installed.
- Hardwood flooring – Its durability makes most home sellers use in their homes so that the value can be increased. If you have a house, which has hardwood flooring, you will sell it at a good price, because many buyers prefer such floors.
10. Put the heating system into consideration
Most homes rely on heating systems because they are comfortable during cold seasons. As much as you need the heating systems, you will also need a good flooring system, which will retain the warmth of your house all through.
- Laminate floor – If you have to install the floor, you need to use a special radiant system. This is because some of the floors are poor heat conductors, but it may still be prudent to inquire from the manufacturer prior to the installation.
- Hardwood floor – Thin as well as dense boards may be great when it comes to radiant heaters. Select a good wood, which may easily adjust to the moisture changes.
11. Moisture as well as the growth of molds
Moisture causes the growth of molds. The continuous growth of molds in the house can pose a health risk. The growth can occur in both floorings, especially when you do not take the necessary precautions.
- Hardwood flooring – The following are ways, which you can use to avoid the molds from growing.a. Ventilate your house regularly – Make sure you open all the windows and doors in the house. You may need to employ a dehumidifier so that you can lessen the moisture inside your house.b. Use clean paper towels to wipe the floors – Once you get rid of the mold, ensure you dampen the paper towels to clean the flooring.c. Consider a vacuum – You can use this equipment to remove all the molds on the flooring. It will assist you to maintain the dryness of the floor so that the molds can be discouraged from growing again.
- Laminate flooring – Moisture can also encourage the growth of molds in this kind of flooring. The molds will not only trigger allergies, but it will also make the area look unattractive. The below are steps to assist you to get rid of the molds at once.a. Sweep the debris and dirt using a vacuum or broom. The bottom line for removing the dirt before mopping the floor is to avoid streaking the debris around your flooring.b. Mix a white vinegar, ethanol, and some water in the bucket to use it in killing the spores of the mold. The rubbing alcohol will assist you to make the moisture evaporate with a high rate.
With the above comparison as well as considerations to consider when choosing the type of flooring in your home, you will be ready to make a wise decision. Always work with the flooring materials, which has more advantages, but remember, at the end of the day, your budget is what will determine. If it becomes hectic to make the right choice, find someone, who is familiar with flooring issues. You will get the assistance you want.